Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Boat I'm Going to Build

So, I've decided to build a boat. A tiny little boat for fishing named "Knucklehead". I spent a bunch of time looking and researching designs and techniques. Apparently one can built a nice boat from some 1/4" plywood and epoxy resin (and fiberglass cloth, and wood flour, and expanding foam, etc.). After copious consideration I've decided to build the Apple Pie Yacht Tender by Chuck Merrell for three reasons.

1) The plans were free. A Christmas gift from Chuck to everyone in 2000. Thanks!

2) A guy named Dale Austin aka Mr. Wizard has a beautiful photo diary of his build. His finished product is quite exceptional. Not to mention his whole website is very cool. He's a real Renaissance man.

3) Most importantly I like the Apple Pie. I will be perfect for fishing in the Skokie Lagoons with the kids.

I am starting with a 1/2 scale model so I have a nice little boat to use in case I shrink to 1/2 my original size. Once finished the full size Apple Pie should be cake.

I purchased some 1/4 super cheap plywood from Owl Lumber in Des Planes. It was about $9.00 and they cut it into 4-24"x48" pieces.

The plotting of the pieces was the hard part so far. With kids and work and my maniacal desire to sleep it took about 2 weeks to plot the cut lines for the bottom and one side piece. My estimation is the boat will be finished in about 5 years. We'll see.

No comments: